Thursday, May 31, 2007

Some interesting banter in the classrooms. Yesterday we were going through a reading passage in one of the classes. It discussed ghosts, so we were having a general chit, when one of the kids asked me what I would do if I saw a ghost. I responded:
“If theres something strange
In your neighbourhood
Who you gonna call?
I was met with blank faces with a slight air of incredulity in the room. Their slight bewilderment at this outburst and my astonishment that anyone could not know the lyrics to Ghostbusters. I mean what kind of sick society does not show the children the Ghostbuster movies. Inhuman.

In another class, we were discussing a guy called Terry Fox who was a Canadian who lost a leg to cancer, but reacted by trying to run across Canada to raise money for research. One of my students seemed very confused by this: “How could a fox run across America?” No, no he was a man I said. “No, but he is Terry the Fox.” No I replied Fox is just his name. She obviously imagined this three legged fox running across Canada, attacking chicken coops and drinking maple syrup along the way. I tell you it is not easy trying to produce talented debaters from kids who imagine charity running super foxes.

Finally, I have been looking at some bebo and facebook pictures of everyone out and about in the warmer climate. I would like to remind the girls that just because it is summer, fake tan does not become invisible. Some fine ladies look like they have been tanning up, by walking through a car wash filled with St Tropez. I don't know if they look exotic or radioactive. Being so smothered that you resemble Tony Hart's friend morph is not a sexy look. Remember that you are Scottish. Looking pale and sickly is your birthright, embrace it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home