Tuesday, May 22, 2007

We had a seminar today at work. This was essentially a chance to give a presentation to Korean parents to try and get them to send their kids to the hagwon. We had a show debate, sort of like this, in the first few days that I got here. On that day, the seminar room was almost bursting with parents, eagerly watching the debate in front of them. It is a mark of how things have gone that today, about five or six parents turned up. Not so good. My colleague Phil looking very snazzy in a brand spanking new tailored suit gave a presentation on the program etc. The presentation was strong, our program is decent I think, but there is still one major flaw in the system. We are charging well, well over the odds. This is the legacy of when our program was touted as some sort of miracle product. Very quickly, parents would realise that when the kiddys were not turning into Oscar Wilde within a couple of months, that there may be something up.

While Phil gave the presentation, I just sort of sat on the side like the sprig of parsley on the steak. At point I was introduced as the Scottish debating champion by the Korean boss type who then went on like this: “Kenny is from Scotland. This means he has a very strange accent, however this is good. As students now have to listen to weird accents on foreign language tests, so this is why he is useful.” Glad to be of service, cheers.

Generally, our part of the business continues to do very badly. We are leaking students like Charlie Whelan used to leak negative press about Tony Blair. We are recruiting new students about the pace of the Jade Goody fan club. However, we are one very small part of a very big company, and the upper management levels seem happy enough to keep taking the hits in the hope that somehow things will turn around, and a successful english/debate program will appear. Honestly, I think I have a better chance of winning Mr Universe. I don't actually find any of this dispiriting. On the whole, I am just not that arsed. As mercenary as it is, I am happy to have a light teaching schedule and then taking the money. Anyway, it is a gorgeous day today. I hope the weather is lifting the spirits of my friends wherever they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home