Sunday, July 01, 2007

I am sitting here watching a Fox News update, relayed through the US Armed Forces Network. They are talking about the investigations into the terrorist attacks. The terrorist attacks at Glasgow Airport. Glasgow airport, where I live. Scary. Apparently, the terrorists were not Scottish, but this surprises me, as they seem to be such crappy terrorists that they must be Scottish. Driving an unexploded van, full of nails into Glasgow Airport. Hardly a work of twisted logistical genius. I am being glib of course, honestly I am of course delighted no one was hurt. Still, surreal and alarming, and a definite wake up call.


Otherwise, back in Korea, I have had a really awesome weekend. On Friday night, I went to Hongdae to attend 'club night.' Club night is where a ticket can be purchased for about fifteen dollars that gives admittance to around ten or so clubs participating in the promotion. This means you can attend a load of different clubs for very good value. A lot of places play hip hop, but there is also house, techno, and even some classic rock thrown in. One place called 'Saab' however particularly stood out. It's interior decoration seemed to be inspired by a snuff movie and it was horrific. The place was very dark, had chains hanging from the ceilings and was equipped with a smoke machine that seemed to being operated by someone who thought he was working on the film set of a First World War movie. I swear I thought I spotted some German's equipped with pointy helmets roaming next to the glass collectors. It was packed to the rafters and the circulating body heat made the place like an absoulte sauna. People were sweating so much in the hip hop joint that the dehydration were causing lucid fantasy's of Biggie and Tupac's spirits. Despite this it was a really cool night. The overall area is really busy and the atmosphere is really cool, making flitting between the clubs a very cool evening.

I am just back from seeing Transformers. To be honest, I thought it was going to be total shit. Michael Bay was directing, and I have long believed that he should have been taken to the Hague for war crimes after Pearl Harbour was released. However, I was pleasantly astonished by how much I enjoyed it. The special effects and action sequences are amazing and it all moves along at a cracking pace. It has some pretty nice touches of humour in it and Megan Fox looks very attractive. Nice to know that Optimus Prime has still got it.

Finally, I just realised I have been in Korea now for over half a year. Half a year, I honestly never would have thought it. After the way things seemed early on, I never thought i would have lasted.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

terrorism n. acts causing intense fear or alarm

I have to say that none of the above was evident in Buchanan St this afternoon; possibly due the fact the attempts to cause the above were on the verge of comic in their ineptitude.

I think the general attitude in the weeg at the mo is best encapsulated here

5:12 PM  
Blogger Niall K said...

You lived in Glasgow airport? Where did you take showers?

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home