Monday, February 12, 2007

Religion.

I was with my class yesterday at Langdell Debate Academy. Now overall the kids at this academy are very bright. However, this bunch are not the sharpest knives in the drawer and tend to display some truly dysfunctional and social misfit behaviour. Anyway, Christine (who btw is far too good for the class) asks me: "Are you religious Mr Fleming?" "Not really, but I was raised as a Christian."

"What does that mean?" prompts C
"Well, I went to Church when I was younger, but I do not anymore. I certainly don't think I could call myself a Christian. I am not sure what I believe, but, obviously I respect the very constructive influence that religion can play in peoples lives."
"Is that not a cop out answer? C
"Sorry?"
"Thats what former Christians always say. ' I respect blah, blah, blah. Harumpf." Christine folds her arms dismissively.

Yoon Ho, now pipes up: "I used to be a Christian and a buddhist." The handsome Scottish heretic is happy to see the chat moved away from Christine's very own version of the Spanish Inquisition.

"When I was growing up I was both a Christian and a buddhist. The left side of my brain wanted to be a Christian, vbut the right side was buddhist. Don't you hate it when the two sides of your brain disagree." Fleming can reply only with a baffled stare.

"But now I'm just a buddhist, because I prayed for a whole month for God to give me a PSP and he never gave me one." At this point, the entire class start pissing themselves laughing. Even the goon platoon can see this is not the most reliable theological litmus test the world has seen.

"Did Buddha not give you a PSP either?" I asked.
"No, you can't ask Buddha for a PSP, that would be stupid."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home