Monday, September 03, 2007

I have been here rather a while now, nevertheless there are moments when I realise just how bloody bizarre thing can appear. I went out to get some chicken for dinner. Being a little bit crazy, I went to the place five minutes or so down the road rather than a floor below me. (You know I like to mix it up like that.) So, I ordered my chicken and sat at the little plastic table waiting for them to prepare the plastic tasting shite. As I waited I looked at the programme that was on the little portable TV in the place. It was showing some sort of Karaoke competiton, where this bizarre cavalcade of Koreans would take turn singing different tunes. It was not like the show had much in the way of production values either. It reminded me of the stage for the final of Malaysia Worlds, any of you who were there will remember it distinctly. Furthermore, most of them were not any good, in fact they were pure pish and could not hold a tune in a paper bag.

So, rather weirded out by the TV, I looked around the chicken shop and caught something on the weird wallpaper. Now this wallpaper, which looked like the stuff that would belong in the bedroom of an only child born to hippie parents had a rather strange statement written on it.
"Meat of chicken can prevent cancer." WTF? Now, I am not a scientist but I am sure that is utter baws. What is truly inexplicable is how this sentence ever made it on the wall. Did the Korean owners in an effort to attract the business of erstwhile foreigners think this will do it, we will tell them this will stop them from getting cancer. Because of course, I always think about a food's cancer blocking powers when deciding what to order. Mmmmm, broccoli not much on the old tastebuds, but guess what you are fucked now colon caner.

Or my other theory is that due to the many strange english statements that can be observed, translators are secretly taking the piss out of many sincere Korean business people. "Yes, it does say that Meat of chicken is tasty food."

Madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home