Wednesday, September 19, 2007

So I am home. I am back in Bishopbriggs on the edge of weegieville and have been for nearly a week. I have not wrapped up the blog because my thoughts have understandably been elsewhere. I actually finished work on the 30th August, but then Ihad nearly a fortnight to wait until I had been paid and could go home. (B

There were no emotional scenes on my last day of work, no tearful goodbyes or a melancholic anecdotal exchange. I just packed my stuff, printed off my e-tickets and said a warm, but hardly gushing goodbye to my Korean colleague. I felt a slight tinge of regret that my supposed year of drilling able Korean whippersnappers into debating machines had never materialised. However, there was no real melancholy or sadness. The futility of the endeavour had become apparent to me for months and my last day was just the final coughing wheeze of a dying creature.

In truth, in nearly nine months of time in Korea I achieved almost nothing of merit or note. I was involved in businesses that were unmitigated disasters. I am the Korean educational equivalent of Jonah. Employing me was like a pirate receiving a black spot, a rugby player a hospital pass or a a minister receiving a set of Blair constitutional reforms. Seriously, I could have not been more bad news if I was wearing a black cloak and a scythe. I am exaggerating of course as when I first got here I really did work hard. I was enthusiastic, hard working and really very eager to please. However, the circumstances to get things done properly were never there. A potent mixture of arrogance, ignorance and profound greed meant that these companies were doomed to failure. If nothing else I have learned some pretty clear lessons about what not to do if you have any intention of seeing a company succeed.

Despite the fact that it just seemed fated to end in tears. I am glad I got to be involved in world schools. I was a safe pair of hands there I think and I thoroughly enjoyed being part of the competition. It is something that I can see myself being involved in the future and if circumstances allow, I would love to head over to Washington D.C for the competition there. Had I never been in Seoul I would never have been involved in WSDC, so I am glad I came in that regard.

But what do I really think of the place I lived for nearly two thirds of a year. Seoul is a strange, strange place. Depending on the definition used, over twenty million people live in the greater Seoul boundaries. Yet despite this incredible population it is not a city of great diversity at all. Essentially, it is a reflection of the wider racially homogenous Korean society where on most subways rides you will see just a sea of Korean faces. Compare that with the London or even Glasgow underground system and that is a contrast I never quite got used to.

I think there is a definite duality within the Korean people. They can have a fairly arrogant and superior attitude about certain things, but I think this is counter balanced against a certain chip on the shoulder and inferiority complex. The end result I suppose of a country with a very old and developed Confucian culture, but that has also been invaded more times than Paris. (Hilton and France.) They have a history to be proud of and a history to be profoundly sore about. I think that shows.

Moreover, I just think that lots of Koreans work too hard. I do not think that the people in Korea are intrinsically unfriendly or grumpy. I just think they are tired and a tad morose. Take a rush hour trip on the Seoul subway and you will witness a block of humanity that actually look physically compressed by the difficulties and challenges of an ordinary day. Now of course everywhere in the advanced world, normal punters have hellish stresses, but in Korea, well I just think that amps are turned to eleven. It starts with an educational system of nightmarish intensity and I just think it goes from there.

I think a lot of my friends, both in Korea and at home had the erroneous impression of me being completely miserable over there. Absolutely not true. The first few months were certainly not the best and proved to be very difficult and yes I definitely talked about coming home early. However, I was pretty happy for the majority of the time. As much as the job was a complete failure, life generally was quite easy. As the kids quit I got more and more free time and I was always fine for money. In fact I don’t think most of my adult life will be as stress free as life was most of the time in Seoul.

Nevertheless, it is nice to be back in Glasgow. The Georgian buildings are welcome relief after wandering around Seoul, which must be the most fuck ugly city in the world. If Anne Widdecombe, after a heavy night on the Bombay Sapphire were a city it would be Seoul. Ugly, ugly concrete blocks. It has been good catching up with family and friends since I have got home and I look forward to seeing everyone soon.

This blog however has been an excellent notion. During the especially difficult periods at the start, pouring it out over the interweb proved to be exceedingly cathartic. Also, I think it has been successful in catching the comic surrealism of certain incidents and if that has given a welcome chuckle for some nine to fivers, or cramming students then that is Kool and the Gang. (By the way I have set up a new blog at abowlofspecialk.blogspot.com I will give you the full details over there if you want a look.)

In the final analysis, Kimchi never really won a place in my heart, but Irn Bru and a sausage supper I think, always will.

Annyong Haseyo Folks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Good to have you back. Are you going on Sat night??

I think that the reason many of us got the notion you were miserable is that most people who write in blogs about their work/travels etc tend to do so, as you said, for catharsis. Most of them tend to give a freq unrealistically negative impression. Certainly if you read medical blogs, they are deeply depressing, and give you the impression that all doctors hate their job, because they tend to be bitchfests about the things we don't like.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Kiwi Claire said...

Hey special K. I loved your blog from start to finish. Uproariously funny, carefully insightful, bitingly ironic and just a ripping good yarn. And as far as debating judging goes, yep, you are a safe pair of hands mate and WSDC would be the poorer without you. I hope you get to Washington.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home