Thursday, September 06, 2007

For a few reasons, I have even more spare time in my little studio flat at the moment. This has meant I have been watching lots and lots of DVD's. Recently, I punched in the classic Indiana Jones trilogy and enjoyed them immensely. These films are possibly my favorite films ever. When I was young I actually wanted to be an archaeologist for a period, until I realised that most of the job did not consist of fighting Nazis and running through booby trapped tombs. The shot in the last crusade which sees the mercenary place the fedora on the head of young Jones played by River Phoenix and then cuts to grown up Indy on the boat is just awesome.


Now all that being said, there are a few dodgy moments in The Temple of Doom and I never quite realised how dodgy they were. Let us just say that the 'Uncle Tom' Jar Jar Binks character is not the first rather racist bit of cinema George Lucas has been involved in. For those of you who don't remember this film in vivid detail, let me recap for you. Indy and the gang make their way to and Indian temple where they discover shady and sinister goings on within. However, before they find the dark activities they are served a lovely gala dinner. What is on the menu? Yes, Snake stuffed with dung beetles. Ah of course, because next to Chicken Tikka Masala on the menu's at the Charing Cross curry houses is stuffed snake with beetles. Willie, Indy's token bit of stuff, then asks if she can have something simple like soup. The kind hosts oblige and bring her soup filled with eyeballs. Ah yes eyeball soup, perfect for dipping a bit of Nan bread into. I am not sure what most Indians do eat, but my vague knowledge is that they are lentil based curries most of the time. At a stretch a bit of snake, at a big stretch some beetles, but soup filled with eyeballs...


Now very quickly Indy and the gang discover the evil goings on down in the subterranean depths of the palace. Where we discover the evil black magic of crazy India dark priests. Firstly, this is a bit of a slight against the fine religious traditions of India, which has by my count, contributed no less than three major world religions. Now all of this is just a wee bitty unseemly, but things get really dodgy when the Indians break out the voodoo. Yes the voodoo. They use the little doll to stab Jones in the back as he scraps with an Indian hard man. Now as anyone who has see the Bond flick “Live and Let Die” can tell you, voodoo originates in Haiti. I do not know exactly how far away Haiti is from India but it is fucking far. I can only imagine the rage as Vishnu watched, his many arms writhing in rage. Delhi, cannot have been too happy at the time of release I imagine. “I d o not care if these guys were responsible for Star Wars and Jaws, we are not letting them pull this pish!"

Anyway, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, great filmmakers who have brought joy to millions around the world and utilised the power of imagination past normal boundaries. Still, possibly a wee bit racist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home